Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Gutsy Heidi heads for Portugal with hopes of making Olympic cut



PETALING JAYA: Gutsy youngster Heidi Gan has her mind firmly set on making another big statement for Malaysia when she steps foot on Setubal Bay in Portugal for the Olympic open water swimming qua­li­fying meet from June 9-10.

The 23-year-old Heidi stamped her mark at the Indonesia SEA Games last November by sweeping the two gold medals at stake in open water swimming – 5km and 10km.

Heidi will head to Portugal to be among the 35 swimmers from 21 countries chasing the remaining 15 spots in the 10km event for the London Olympics.

Ten spots had been decided earlier – at last year’s World Champion­ships in Shanghai – and a country can only qualify one swimmer.

Heidi, who is based in Perth, said competing at the Olympic qualifying meet has been her aim since switching focus from pool to open water swimming two years ago.

“I have been training with Portugal in mind for a long time now ... even before the SEA Games in November last year,” she said via e-mail.

“While it was not confirmed that I would be competing in Portugal until after my results at the SEA Games, my coach (Matt Magee) and I had to plan our training programme as if I would be going because open water training requires a very long term orientation and training programme.”

Heidi has endured a gruelling training regimen, apart from having to focus on her studies over the last few months.
“My preparation involved nine training sessions, three gym and circuit classes plus numerous other services every week to keep my body intact (like physio, massage),” she said.
“The training has been really great – it’s been very distance orientated, so lots of km each session but with a real open water focus.

“My coach is an expert in open water training and has a very good understanding of what is needed in training to compete at the best level over 10km.

“I feel a lot fitter and stronger. For example, this has involved swimming a straight 10km in the pool every Saturday with our open water group.

“It’s mentally challenging and tough but it is the type of training I require for the 10km race.”
While a place in the Olympics will certainly make her day, Heidi will also be happy to achieve a top 20 finish.

“All I can do is race the best I can in Portugal. While an Olympic position is what I am hoping for, I will also be happy with a top 20 finish given that I am quite new to the sport.
“After all, Malaysia has had limited experience with open water swimming, with the SEA Games being the first time we competed in the event.

“It is very difficult to gauge the competition in open water swimming because the times are irrelevant and it is the placings that matter.

“My coach has given me some background on some of the other swimmers but I know for sure I will be up against very strong competition.”

Whatever happens, Heidi will create history by her mere presence in Portugal.
Should she make the Olympic cut, that would really be the icing on the cake.



THE STAR

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...