Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Azizul picked for both sprint and keirin events



CYCLIST Josiah Ng will be a spectator after all at the London Olympics as Azizulhasni Awang has been picked to race in both the sprint and keirin events.

And Azizul is ready to shoulder the double duty, saying he fears no one.
“I am confident and I am not afraid of the other riders. I see both events as open races ... I believe I have just as much a chance as the others to win a medal,” he said after a training session yesterday.
But the decision comes as no surprise although the team only decided to name the sprint rider at the last minute.

Team manager Datuk Naim Mohamed said that it was a strategic decision and that the coach had the final say.

“I believe Azizul can handle the pressure of riding in the two events. Most top riders can manage it,” he said.

“Azizul is ready and I am sure he is well aware of the expectations back home. We are just waiting for the action to begin.”
The sprint event will be held on Saturday and the keirin on Aug 7.

Fateha Mustafa will compete in the women’s keirin tomorrow.

Azizul also said that his Olympic preparations “have been good and the final tune-up in Belgium has also been useful”.

“My preparations have all been geared towards the Olympics and I believe that I have done everything I possibly can to get into shape. It is now a matter of getting ready psychologically for the races,” he said.

Azizul may have avoided British rider Chris Hoy for the keirin but they will square up in the sprint event.

“Chris is not the only rider in my way. There are a few others out there in both races. I don’t want to focus just on Chris ... I want to take all the riders seriously,” he said.
As for Fateha, her target is to get into the final.

“Yes, if I can do that, then it will be an achievement. I will try my best,” she said.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...