Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Once a librarian, always a librarian!


There's something about being a librarian – for however short a part of one's ultimate career – that sticks. Despite the fact that I was a librarian for less than a quarter of my career I still naturally think of myself as one. It is the part of me that matters. Does any other career affect one that way, I wonder? For those who have spent their life in one career it may be hard to judge. But if there are those out there who have swapped their career and yet think of themselves as still being of the shorter period one I should be interested to hear.

One of the things I love about blogland is suddenly finding out new things about one's fellow bloglings. I have, for example, often wondered about what Librarian's real name is. If it is not obvious on their blog one is loathe to ask  because some people, quite rightly, might want to hide behind a different identity. Not that I'd so a thing like that, said Scriptor! (for those who want to know mine it's plain old John or CJ if you follow GB's blog). I found out Librarians name here on Cathy's blog. Then there's the discovery that SP is the phantom knitter and managed to break her leg playing with the cat (Duh!) – your secret is well out now, SP.

Blogging and reading blogs is all such fun but I'm trying to restrict myself to a mere hour and a half a day. Otherwise I'd get nothing done except this enjoying myself and that would not be right. Would it?


Partner-who-drinks-tea and I were discussing the difference between a comic book and a graphic novel.
I wonder what exactly the difference is?” I said.
About £8,” was her prompt and witty reply.

I got a most surprising letter through the post the other day. My life insurance has suddenly jumped up £40,000 as a result of my latest review. Remind me not to hang around at the top of the stairs while Partner-who-drinks-tea is up there! (Especially as she has read that post about 'Does that sound stupid' and has therefore been reminded of my reply.)


Something I have never seen before happened in a football match on Tuesday night – Everton's contest against Manchester City – some idiot managed to hold up the game by handcuffing himself to the goalpost. The man wore a T-shirt criticising Ryanair. The airline had apparently denied his daughter a job. I wonder if it is fair to reject an applicant on the basis that your father is a nutter?? (OK I know that isn't politically correct, especially from a counsellor's husband, but how else can one describe a man who does something like that over a personal matter. A matter of great humanitarian interest might merit a major protest but hardly something like that.)

I haven't really been following the Olympic build-up but I took a look at the Olympic site today and found a little thing to amuse children. The mascots – Wenlock and Mandeville – can be dressed in a variety of ways by the visitor. Here are a couple of mine. (Yes, I know, some of us never grow up.)

On a more serious note, the main body of the London Olympics take place from 27th July to 12th August and I'm really looking forward to the Opening Ceremony. I find the parade of nations with their flags and their happy, waving athletes a wonderful mix of jingoism and international friendliness. Long may sport (and blogs) bring our nations together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...