Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Figure Skating Fashion Minute: 2012 US Figure Skating Championships--The Pairs!!


First, A Question: What Does This:

Caydee Denney (with her Pairs partner John Coughlin),Gold Medalists 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships...

Have To Do With This:


Toddlers & Tiaras?? (concentrate on the abundant eye makeup) Read on...

Pairs Bedazzled: The Top Pairs Medalists in the Prudential 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, HP Pavilion San Jose California

Continuing my "Nick Figure Skating Costume Two Cents" on last weekend's Prudential 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships (which I had the pleasure of attending in San Jose California). You can click HERE for my Ladies Review and HERE for my Men's Review--but now, the Pairs. Shall we get started...

Pairs Bronze Medalists Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig: For their Short Program to George Gershwin's "The Man I Love", their costumes were on-point! His was a tailored look of a lilac dress shirt, plaid vest--very fitted--pink tie and black pants. Normally, I am NOT A FAN of the dress shirt-tie-and-pant look for male figure skaters but within the Pairs context this works. This combination suits him just right--and works with the music. Amanda's costume was beautiful. Loved the light rose pink color, the one-shoulder styling and delicate beading. The open back detail...

Was sublime. These costumes worked seamlessly together. There were elements of understated traditional elegance, romance, and a little bit of "high fashion" all at once.

Evora and Ladwig Long Program Costumes: For their Long Program to Ravel's "Daphnis and Chloe" and Debussy's "Reverie", they decided to go more "Period" costume. I liked hers but his seemed, well, too blouson-y. I get the theme, their costume pairing...yet something was "throwing me off". Oh wait, maybe it was those darn black pants! I guess I wished they would have been the color of her midriff corset--more of a burgundy color. I think it would have made the look even more unified.

Silver Medalists Mary Beth Marley and Rockne Brubaker: For their Long Program to Rachmaninov's "Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor", Mary Beth wore a fuchsia costume with black and rhinestone detail. The strong color definitely popped on the ice. She looked so pretty in this. I also loved that she continued the elegance of this costume to her chignon hairstyle as well. Rockne donned a black cropped jacket suit with a shirt matching Mary Beth's costume. Both costumes worked very well together, especially to the classical music soundtrack they skated to.

Marley and Brubaker Short Program: They skated to "Singing In the Rain" for their Short Program. Their costumes were bright, safe and oh so cute. But...soooo "Junior Champions" for my taste. Both costumes were so "Figure Skating 101" and something one could purchase off the rack from a Skating Store. Give me a little creativity here. Something...

Gold Medalists Caydee Denney and John Coughlin: Now, we finally get to the Pairs who won the entire thing--and who I began my blog posting here with. I love their skating. I have now "experienced them" twice--while attending Skate America and again in San Jose, at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. And in both occasions, they got me up on my feet (yes, I even put my bucket of popcorn down for these two!). They are athletically wonderful--and John is a corn-fed tall glass of water! (sorry, I was supposed to use my "quiet voice"!). And Miss Caydee..."bless her heart", as they say in The South...

For their Gold Medal-winning Free Skate to "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's Turandot, she wears an aqua blue-green applique lace and sequin costume with a band collar that is a bit too 1986 Figure Skating Costume for my taste. But that's really not my biggest critique. It is her garish eye makeup that did it for me.

Part of me loved it--the part that loves "Toddlers & Tiaras"-- but simultaneously, that's why I also thought it was so trailer-trashy. I think the combination of her blond hair, the pastel costume and her "I just had too many Bloody Mary's in Vegas" eye color, all made it wrong. I love her skating and think both of them are wonderful but...she needs a Costume--and Make-up-- Intervention
.

Denney and Coughlin Short Program Costumes: For their Short Program to "East of Eden" (the TV Miniseries), I also thought their costumes were a bit of a letdown. His was just a variation on what we would see during their Long Program (wow, a convertible collar with beading--as opposed to no collar with beading!).

And hers: on a good note, I liked the deep lilac color. On a not-so-good note, there was absolutely no interesting design element. This was again, Figure Skating Costume 101, bought from a store. When you are at World Class Competition Level, it's time to "Bring It On". I'm hoping they will--and change their costumes, for Worlds or at least try to "Step it up" for the 2012/13 season!

Next Up: The Ice Dancers!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...