Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

A scare for Chong Wei

Lee Chong Wei's first match fears nearly turned into a reality as the Malaysian needed three games to beat Finland's Ville Lang in his opening London Olympics match the Wembley Arena on Monday.

After an easy first game, mistakes littered Chong Wei's play in the second and only a purple patch, which saw him scoring 10 points in a row in the decider, pulled the Malaysian through 21-8, 14-21, 21-11.

"It was my first competitive match in almost three months and I felt both jittery and rusty," said Chong Wei, who was making a competitive comeback after injuring his ankle in the Thomas Cup Finals in May.

Lee Chong Wei struggled against Ville lang of Finland in his opening London Olympics match.
Defeat though, was never a thought despite the struggle against Lang.

"I wanted to win the match in two games and that led to me making too many mistakes at the net as well as numerous half court shots. Lang is a good player and he took advantage of the fact that I had not played competitively in a while. However, I was always confident that I would win," added Chong Wei.

Bitter rival Lin Dan opened his campaign with an emphatic 21-8, 21-14 win over Scott Evans of Ireland but Chong Wei said he wasn't thinking about the final just yet.

"As I said, this is my first match and now, I want to focus on the next game (most probably against Simon Santoso on Indonesia). All I can do now is try my best and hopefully, get better as the tournament progresses."

Meanwhile, Tee Jing Yi beat Italian Agnese Allegrini 21-17, 21-14 in their women's singles Group B match. The Malaysian's Olympic hopes, however, are hanging by a thread as Korean Bae Yeon Ju will advance to the elimination rounds if she beats Agnese in the final group match on Tuesday.



Vijesh Rai - NST

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...