Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Archer Khairul qualifies for third round of men’s individual event


FINALLY, there was some good news for the Malaysian archery team at the Lord’s Cricket Ground when Khairul Anuar Mohd qualified for the third round of the men’s individual event.
World No. 5 Khairul began the knockout stage with the 6-4 win over compatriot Cheng Chu Sian.
Then, in the second round, he edged China’s Xing Yu 6-5.

Khairul will now enjoy a two-day break before the final rounds are held on Friday.
The Malaysian archer was happy with his form and felt that “I could have gone on to win the third round as well if it had been held today (yesterday)”.
“I was shooting quite well and confidently. It was close in both matches but I was in control and that gave me a lot of confidence,” said Khairul.

“It’s a pity that Chu Sian had to come up against me in the first round. He could have done well if he had not faced me. I will use the two-day break to get myself ready for the last eight round. At least we are still in the fight to make the medal rounds.
“I will remain calm and stay focused on the task at hand.”

He will definitely have to stay calm in the next round as he will not only be shooting against home favourite Larry Godfrey but he will also be up against the partisan crowd.

“Yes, I know what to expect. But I will try my best to get past him – and the crowd. There are no easy matches at this level and one mistake can be the difference between winning and losing. I know that and that is why consistency is crucial to my chances,” said Khairul.



THE STAR

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...