Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday My Town Shoot-out

I nearly didn't do this week's FMTSO post but in the end I couldn't resist the challenge.

The theme is 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' and was set by Mark.


For something old I chose this 150 year old wall at Arrowe Park near where I live on the Wirral in Cheshire, UK.


But when you look a bit closer it is rather older than a century and a half. This sandstone itself was laid down somewhere in the Permian (280 million years ago) or the beginning of the Triassic (240 million years ago) Periods.


For something new I couldn’t resist using lambs. This is a little Balwen Sheep lamb with its mum.



And these are Lleyn Sheep that have escaped from their mums to have a play.


Here is something borrowed. This is where I get philosophical (as Mark has done). The wood and iron that form this wheel have been borrowed from the earth. Eventually they will crumble back into the earth. It is as well if we remember that everything we take from the earth is only borrowed and it is to be hoped we don't damage it too much on its route back there.


Initially I thought I might cheat for something blue and show a cow - they often look so sad with their downturned mouths.


Instead, for something blue I have turned to one of my favourite themes, pillar boxes. In 1930 special blue-liveried Air-Mail boxes appeared but they only lasted until 1938 after which they reverted to red or disappeared. This one in Windsor is no longer in use but survives as a piece of street furniture in that heritage conscious town.

I hope you enjoyed my response to Mark's challenge and to see what else folk have found for FMTSO this week visit the link here.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...